Friday, July 22, 2011

Montreal’s Luba on being 1980s pop icon in Canada – and looking for her next big break


Born in 1958 to Ukrainian immigrant parents, Luba – a.k.a Lubomyra Kowalchyk (Lubomyra which translates into ‘love and peace’) – studied piano, guitar, flute and voice, and during her teens travelled across Canada performing traditional Ukrainian folk songs at weddings and festivals.
“I have always been painfully shy, I blush when people pay me compliments, but I’ve always had my feet on the ground when it comes time to dealing with people [chasing me for fame or fortune],” Luba told me over lunch last week at Restaurant Bonaparte in Old Montreal. “It was weird for someone as shy as me to be a performer. But I never really had stage fright because I’d been performing onstage since I was 13. I’d been recording [in studios] since I was 15.”

Click here to read full story.

Source: Montreal Gazette

No comments: