Monday, November 30, 2009
Demjanjuk trial shows double standards, lawyer says
A lawyer for John Demjanjuk, accused of helping to murder 27,900 Jews at a Nazi death camp, has accused German prosecutors of double standards. Mr Demjanjuk, 89, denies he was a guard at Sobibor camp, in wartime Poland.
As the case began in Munich, his legal team said in previous cases Germans assigned to the camp had been cleared.
The Ukraine-born accused, who was extradited to Germany from the US in May, was twice carried into court, first in a wheelchair then a stretcher.
Doctors have said Mr Demjanjuk is in poor health, and asked that hearings be limited to two 90-minute sessions a day.
Over 60 years after the end of World War II, this may be Germany's last big war crimes trial.
Click here for complete story.